* “White students at a large state-supported Southern university who were exposed to images of the still-ubiquitous battle flag judged a fictional black character more harshly. They expressed less willingness to vote for presidential candidate Barack Obama in 2008.” The size of the effect: on a 9-point scale, those who saw the flag were 0.80 points (or 9 percentage points) less likely than other subjects to say they would vote for Obama. “More at Miller-McCune”:http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture-society/confederate-flag-activates-racist-mindset-25644/. The actual article is “here”:http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9221.2010.00797.x/abstract (gated).
* News flash: “Party identification is pretty stable”:http://www.slate.com/id/2276324.
* “New life form”:http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/12/nasa-finds-new-life/.
* The Sunlight Foundation’s “PAC-naming widget”:http://blog.sunlightfoundation.com/2010/12/02/sunlights-political-action-committee-pac-name-generator/.
* “Iowa Republicans want to eliminate sabbaticals”:http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2010/12/02/qt#244781.