Republicans Light? Of Beer and Parties

by Joshua Tucker on September 28, 2012 · 10 comments

in Campaigns and elections,Political Parties

The National Journal Hotline on Call blog posted this great graphic yesterday:

First thing that surprised me was that Bud drinkers are more likely to be Democrats, and Samuel Adams drinkers Republican. But what ended up striking me as most interesting was the strong link between drinking light beer and being a Republican. Of the eight light beers in the figure, 5 are Republican, 2 are bipartisan, only 1 is (just slightly) Democratic. And of the four pairs of the same beer that have a light and non-light version, the light version is always more pro-Republican!

Perhaps this is the true reason why the Democratic Party now has the advantage on foreign policy

matt w September 28, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I think you’re missing the Sam Adams/Sam Adams Light pairing.

I wonder if it’s possible to disentangle price and region here? My knee-jerk reaction is to say that Bud drinkers are more likely to vote Democratic because they’re less likely to be high-income, but that’s strictly made up.

Mavis Beacon September 28, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I’m guessing it’s an age phenomenon. Older people are more concerned about their weight and perhaps more likely to drink light beer (though I am aware young people sometimes have light beer so they can drink more of it without filling up). If that’s true, then since Republicans are older on average, a larger fraction Republicans than Democrats would prefer the light version of a given beer.

Andreas Baumann September 29, 2012 at 7:09 am

Where’s the PBR?

pretendous September 29, 2012 at 8:02 pm

PBR’s probably way off the chart to the left, but squarely on the X-axis, equally pulled down by those who think voting is lame and pulled up by those who vote ironically.

Sam Adams (D) September 29, 2012 at 9:15 am

Last night, I enjoyed a cold Sam Adams Boston Lager whilst making my donation check to the DNC.

Justin H. Gross September 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm

When I was tending bar at a Romney fundraiser in Boston in 2003, I tried to get him to have a beer (knowing he didn’t drink). “You sure you don’t want a Sam Adams? He was not only a beer maker; he was a patriot.” “Just the Diet Coke, thanks,” replied Romney.

It’s too bad we didn’t have smartphones then, or I might have tried to shoot a gotcha video. Of course, he was a moderate then, so I wouldn’t have caught anything too embarrassing.

Joel October 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm

well, apparently you caught him ingesting caffeine, which is also a no-no.

Santiago Alles September 29, 2012 at 2:38 pm

the Corona Dem-skew might be associated with Latino consumers, which are predominantly democrat voters.

Warren Gordon September 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I assume the next item to be examined is the brand of toilet paper used by each group. Am I too bold in assuming that Republicans will favor quilted brands while Democrats will prefer non quilted single ply?

Affirmative October 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

So if I ever get invited to a Obama hosted “Beer Summit”, should I bring Guiness or Molson? Why are all the decent American beers on the right, and the good beers on the left are all imports?