The best cities for singles

by Lee Sigelman on September 25, 2008 · 6 comments

in Frivolity

Forbes magazine has a new edition of its “best cities for singles” ranking of forty American metro areas. It bases these rankings on seven components: coolness, cost of living alone, culture, job growth, online dating, nightlife and number of singles. (“Coolness” is based on responses to a Harris survey asking which city is the coolest. I would have said Minneapolis or Buffalo, because I would have assumed that the question referred to the weather, not the lifestyle.) Each metro area was ranked in each category, and the category ranks were summed to determine the overall rankings.

And the winner is:

Atlanta.

To which I respond, incredulously, “Atlanta!” My least favorite major American city. Which establishes, as if further evidence were required, that I am not a swinging single.

Anyway, for our single readers who are contemplating a change of venue in order to spice up their lagging social lives, here’s the Forbes ranking:

1.Atlanta
33.Providence
36.Kansas City
37.Indianapolis
38.Cleveland
39.Salt Lake City
40.Jacksonville

For the full report, with category-by-category rankings, click here.

joel September 25, 2008 at 2:48 pm

looks to me like that list is about 20 too long (to pick a round number). after that, you’re just counting backwards from the bottom on the much-longer “least best” list.

having said that, and having been to many of these cities when i was single, wha? way too much texas way too high on that list, just to name one obvious flaw (and speaking as someone from texas).

Lee Sigelman September 25, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Joel: I can’t agree with your first point. I think the bottom of the list conveys some potentially useful information, though I’m surprised that a couple of places that I like (Portland and Providence) did so poorly. But then, I’m not a swinging single.

As for Texas, there are only four Texas cities on the list. I thought Austin was ranked surprisingly low, counterbalancing Dallas, which I put right next to Atlanta as my least favorite major American city.

newsocprof September 25, 2008 at 3:06 pm

i’m also shocked to see Mpls that high. I grew up there and everyone I know who moved there from elsewhere as an adult says it is a terrible place to be single, make friends, etc. My single ‘from away’ friends talk about this often. Apparently all of us Minnesotans still maintain our high school and college friendships (and never move) so our friendship and dating networks are closed and insular…

d_k September 25, 2008 at 4:34 pm

DC really?

Well I suppose if criteria included online dating, and number of singles… but that doesn’t translate to a good city to be single in. Let me tell you – IT IS NOT!

JJ September 26, 2008 at 10:57 am

Dallas and Minneapolis before New York? Was this list created in some alternate universe? Dallas is too busy executing all of their eligible bachelors and Minneapolis would be a prime location for a Soviet-era Gulag.

As far as I am concerned, whether you are single or not, there is New York and there is everywhere else.

J September 26, 2008 at 12:33 pm

Man, every time I want to date someone here in Texas they go off and get executed. Such a bizarro world I live in.